|Teaching method||Contact hours|
|Practical extensively supervised||18|
|Course coordinator(s)||dr. ir. J Weijma|
|Lecturer(s)||prof. dr. ir. CJN Buisman|
|dr. ir. HVM Hamelers|
|prof. dr. ir. G Zeeman|
|dr. ir. JTC Grotenhuis|
|dr. ir. J Weijma|
|prof. dr. ir. AJH Janssen|
|dr. RD van der Weijden|
|Examiner(s)||prof. dr. ir. CJN Buisman|
Language of instruction:
Assumed knowledge on:
ETE-24804 + PCC-21802 or comparable
All organic materials are in one way or another involved in biological cycles. Biodegradation of this material will lead to compounds that can be recovered as resources, which will enter the biological cycle again. The subject of this course is the use of biological processes to recover resources within Environmental Technology. An overview is given of both technological, microbiological, and thermo dynamical aspects of the processes of interest. Based on general kinetics of biological processes, the design principles for wastewater treatment, sustainable energy production from waste and wastewater, off gas cleaning and soil remediation will be derived. Biological processes for the degradation and conversion of organic contaminants, organic matter, nitrogen, phosphorous, sulphur under aerobic and anaerobic conditions will be reviewed.
After this course, students are able to:
- interpret literature on technological, microbiological and thermo dynamical aspects for a specific case;
- relate mathematical kinetic relationships to the design of biological processes for resource recovery;
- write a concise paper on the technological, microbiological and thermo dynamical aspects for a specific case;
- present the key factors in the optimization of an engineered biological process;
- explain essential aspects in resource recovery by engineered biological processes.
Attending the lectures, literature research, studying the theory and work on a case study in a group.
Judgement from written exam (50%) and case portfolio (50%), provided that both are valued 5 or higher.
|Compulsory for:||MBT||Biotechnology||MSc||E: Environmental Biotechnology||5AF|
|Restricted Optional for:||MES||Environmental Sciences||MSc||5AF|
|MML||Molecular Life Sciences||MSc||E: Environmental Chemistry||5AF|
|MBE||Agricultural and Bioresource Engineering||MSc||5AF|