CBI-20306 Cell Biology and Health


Credits 6.00

Teaching methodContact hours
Practical intensively supervised34
Problem-based learning10
Course coordinator(s)prof. dr. ir. GF Wiegertjes
dr. JHWM Rombout
Lecturer(s)prof. dr. AJ Murk
prof. dr. ir. HFJ Savelkoul
dr. JHWM Rombout
prof. dr. MM van Oers
prof. dr. RA Woutersen
prof. dr. ir. IMCM Rietjens
prof. dr. JM Vlak
Examiner(s)prof. dr. ir. GF Wiegertjes

Language of instruction:


Assumed knowledge on:


Continuation courses:

CBI-30306, CBI-30806, TOX-30306, TOX-30806, VIR-30306, VIR-30806


Each organism lives in a continuous interaction with its environment. This interaction is of vital importance for the organism, but at the same time can be a threat. Therefore each organism must have the right strategy to survive different abiotic and biotic threats. In this introductory course several mechanisms important for the damage to or recovery of mammalian cells will be discussed and a variety of human and animal health problems (i.e. influenza, HIV, classical swine fever, cancer, endocrine disruption, infertility) will be considered. Special attention will be paid to the cell biological, immunological, toxicological and virological aspects of these processes.

Learning outcomes:

At the end of the course the student is expected to:
- understand normal regulation of proliferation, differentiation and death of mammalian cells;
- understand mechanisms modulating the immune response (suppression by viruses and toxic agents; stimulation by vaccines and toxic agents; immunological disturbances);
- have a better understanding in the mechanisms of viral infections and the subsequent diseases (i.e. influenza, HIV, classical swine fever, cancer);
- understand basic principles in toxicological risk assessment and mechanisms underlying adverse health effects caused by toxic agents with emphasis on cancer, immunotoxicity and developmental and reproductive toxicity.


The course can be divided in 3 parts:
- 24 lectures (3 credits);
- a scientific case (1.8 credits);
- a practical course, in which a variety of techniques will be applied (1.2 credits).


A written exam (MC questions and fill out questions) on the information presented in lectures and practicals will compose 80% of the final mark. The other 20% of the final mark will be given for the contributions and participation in the case studies.


A reader for the lectures and one for the practical course. For the case some papers and additional information will be supplied.

Compulsory for: BBIBiologyBScC: Human and Animal Health Biology5MO
BPWPlant SciencesBScA: Plant Genomics and Health3WD
BVGNutrition and HealthBSc5MO
Restricted Optional for: BBTBiotechnologyBSc3WD, 5MO
Restricted Optional for: WUFHDBSc Minor Food, Intestinal Homeostasis and Disease3WD