|Course coordinator(s)||dr. ir. EAM Graat|
|Lecturer(s)||dr. ir. EAM Graat|
|dr. M van der Voort|
|Examiner(s)||dr. ir. EAM Graat|
Language of instruction:
QVE-30306 Quantitative Veterinary Epidemiology.
This course is a basic course on veterinary epidemiology and economics. Specific diseases and their symptoms, prevention, therapy and economic effects will be used as an illustration of the following aspects:
- health and disease, how to diagnose, and which organisations involved;
- types of disease, pathogen transmission, available preventive measures;
- types and design of epidemiological studies, analysis and interpretation;
- basic economic principles and methods used in decision making regarding animal health problems;
- design of disease eradication and/or prevention programmes.
After successful completion of this course students are expected to be able to:
- describe several aspects of animal health and disease;
- give examples of eradication, control and prevention of animal diseases;
- design basic epidemiological studies;
- calculate epidemiological parameters and interpret the outcomes;
- understand basic economic methods for decision making regarding animal health problems;
- understand eradication and/or prevention based on epidemiological and economic criteria.
- class and take home assignments;
- independent study.
Written exam with open and multiple choice questions, usually based on (parts of ) scientific papers in English.
Course guide and schedule are available on first lecture.
Course book: Veterinary Epidemiology (4th, 2018, Thrusfield with Christley) ISBN 9781118280287
|Verplicht voor:||BAS||Animal Sciences||BSc||2MO|
|Verplicht voor:||WUANS||BSc Minor Animal Sciences||2MO|
|Keuze voor:||WUBID||BSc Minor Biology of Infectious Diseases||2MO|