|Course coordinator(s)||dr. A Dewulf|
|Lecturer(s)||dr. A Dewulf|
|dr. TAP Metze-Burghouts|
|Examiner(s)||dr. A Dewulf|
Language of instruction:
Assumed knowledge on:
Introduction course: PAP-10306 Public Administration and Policy Making or other public administration course.
Government, business and civil society can get caught up in societal problems that persist over years, despite the numerous efforts to remedy them. These problems are labelled as 'wicked' and are characterized by both social and technical complexity. Many actors are involved and the issues are hard to pin down. Such a context calls for designing new, innovative governance arrangements. In this course we discuss different designing methods and the underlying governance theories such as network governance, collaborative governance and adaptive governance. We will discuss policy design issues at the institutional, trajectory and interactional level. You will apply these theories and methods by analyzing wicked problem cases and by designing innovative governance arrangements in a realistic case related to your own domain.
After successful completion of this course students are expected to be able to:
- understand the main aspects of designing steering arrangements, process architecture and interventions;
- analyse and translate policy and policy process problems into design questions;
- apply and to evaluate different design and intervention methods and tools;
- design innovative policy arrangements taking into account relevant organisational, institutional and decision-making aspects.
- plenary lectures;
- project group meetings.
- group case study paper (60%);
- written exam (40%).
|Verplicht voor:||BTO||Tourism (joint degree)||BSc||5AF|
|Keuze voor:||MME||Management, Economics and Consumer Studies||MSc||C: Economics and Governance||5AF, 6MO|
|BEB||Economics and Governance||BSc||6MO|
|MAM||Aquaculture and Marine Resource Management||MSc||C: Marine Governance||5AF, 6MO|
|Verplicht voor:||WUCST||BSc Minor Conservation Tourism: Policies and Practices||5AF|