|Course coordinator(s)||dr. JA Hageman|
|Lecturer(s)||dr. LMW Akkermans|
|dr. JA Hageman|
|dr. N Sharda|
|dr. ir. ARH Fischer|
|Examiner(s)||dr. ir. ARH Fischer|
|dr. JA Hageman|
Language of instruction:
Assumed knowledge on:
MAT-15303 Statistics 1 + MAT-15403 Statistics 2 or MAT-14303 Basic Statistics or MAT-15403 Statistics 2
AEP-21306 Econometrics and YRM-50806 Quantitative Data Analysis: Multivariate Techniques.
Designing quantitative research:
- types of research questions for surveys and experiments in Social Sciences;
- sampling procedures;
- estimation, confidence intervals and testing hypothesis;
- regression analysis: introduction, meaning parameters, parameter estimation, t-test for one linear combination of the parameters, F-tests for linear restrictions;
- analysis of variance: one-way, factorial designs;
- factor analysis: scale development, loadings, interpretation;
- practical work using SPSS.
After successful completion of this course students are expected to be able to:
- comprehend the basic ideas of statistical inference, study design and data collection relevant to surveys and experiments that are typical for the social sciences;
- understand the backgrounds, the goals, assumptions and features of the data analysis techniques;
- be able to determine the appropriate statistical procedure, given the description of the study design, the research question and the type of data;
- be able to carry out the needed analyses for the discussed situations and interpret the results in terms of the problem;
- be able to perform independently data analysis techniques with the computer package SPSS.
- in an introductory lecture relevant research questions from the field of social sciences will be discussed;
- during the interactive lectures problem sets are worked out and discussed;
- during the computer practicals students learn how to analyse data using SPSS;
- every week they get a home assignment, which is embedded in a case study.
Written open book exam with multiple choice questions (100%).
- book: Discovering Statistics using IBM SPSS statistics by Andy Field, 5th edition ISBN 978-1-5264-1951-4
- Study Guide (version January 2021), available at the WUR-shop.
|Keuze voor:||MOA||Organic Agriculture||MSc||3WD, 4WD|
|MFN||Forest and Nature Conservation||MSc||B: Spec. B - Management||3WD, 4WD|
|MFN||Forest and Nature Conservation||MSc||A: Spec. A - Policy and Society||3WD|
|MES||Environmental Sciences||MSc||3WD, 4WD|
|MPS||Plant Sciences||MSc||C: Spec. C - Natural Resource Management||3WD, 4WD|
|MCL||Climate Studies||MSc||E: Spec. E - Climate, Society and Economics||3WD, 4WD|
|MOADD||Spec. Agroecology DD||MSc||3WD, 4WD|