|Course coordinator(s)||ir. MA Zijp|
|Lecturer(s)||drs. MR Kramer|
|ir. MA Zijp|
|dr. SA Osinga|
|ir. G Moerland|
|dr.ir. A Kassahun|
|Examiner(s)||drs. MR Kramer|
Language of instruction:
Assumed knowledge on:
Elementary computer skills.
Software Engineering; Data Management; Information Systems for Managers and Engineers; Agent-Based Modelling for Complex Adaptive Systems.
Software plays an important role in many domains. Very often, scientists are writing or adapting computer programs to process or analyse their data and present their results in a suitable format (e.g. on the Internet). This course does not aim to produce professional programmers, but rather to build understanding of the underlying principles and equip future academics with basic skills to create computer programs for small-scale use. The same principles are needed for writing custom code in many simulation, modelling, and engineering tools.
The programming language Python serves a broad application domain ranging from short scripts to full-blown software systems (e.g. Google uses Python). The course gives an introduction to libraries of available components, and how to use these for building your own software.
After successful completion of this course students are expected to be able to:
- implement a given algorithm as a computer program (in Python);
- adapt and combine standard algorithms to solve a given problem (includes numerical as well as non-numerical algorithms);
- adequately use standard programming constructs: repetition, selection, functions, composition, modules, aggregated data (arrays, lists, etc.);
- explain what a given program (in Python) does;
- identify and repair coding errors in a program;
- understand and use object based software concepts (constructing OO software will be dealt with in a continuation course);
- use library software for (e.g.) building a graphical user interface, web application, or mathematical software.
- computer labs (partly supervised);
- class room exercises;
- studying book and electronic materials.
Written closed book exam.
|Verplicht voor:||BAT||Biosystems Engineering||BSc||1AF|
|Keuze voor:||BBW||Soil, Water, Atmosphere||BSc||1AF, 2MO|
|MML||Molecular Life Sciences||MSc||C: Physical Biology||1AF|
|MML||Molecular Life Sciences||MSc||D: Physical Chemistry||1AF|
|MPB||Plant Biotechnology||MSc||A: Functional Plant Genomics||1AF, 2MO|
|MGI||Geo-Information Science||MSc||1AF, 2MO|