|Course coordinator(s)||prof. dr. ir. AH Kersten|
|Lecturer(s)||prof. dr. ir. AH Kersten|
|Examiner(s)||prof. dr. ir. AH Kersten|
Language of instruction:
Assumed knowledge on:
Basic knowledge on Human Nutrition (FCH-11306 Nutritional Aspects of Foods, HNH-10806 Macronutrients, Energy and Overnutrition; HNH-52802 Nutrition and Health Part 1: Macronutrients and Overnutrition (online))
HNH-36806 Nutrition and Sports; Digestion thesis at HNH
Note: This course can not be combined in an individual programme with HNH-28305 Metabolic Aspects of Nutrition and/or HNH-52802 Nutrition and Health Part 1: Macronutrients and Overnutrition (online) and/or HNH-52902 Nutrition and Health part 2: Micronutrients and Undernutrition (online) and/or HNH-10806 Nutrition and Health: Macronutrients, Energy and Health.This is a general nutrition course that addresses the relation between nutrition and human health, and is primarily aimed at food technology students.
The course will address the following aspects:
- study design: how to design a proper nutritional study to examine the relation between food components and health?
- nutrient metabolism: how are macronutrients processed in the human body and how is this regulated?
- micronutrients: what is the specific role of vitamins and minerals and how do they influence human health?
- targeted nutrition: what are the specific nutritional requirements of certain populations (infants, pregnant women, elderly, athletes)?
After successful completion of this course students are expected to be able to:
- demonstrate a broad overview of the field of nutritional science;
- based on a specific research question, come up with a basic design for a nutritional study;
- explain how macronutrients and micronutrients are processed in the human body;
- use dietary guidelines as a basis for reformulating foods;
- have a understanding about the mechanisms underlying the effect of nutrition on health and disease;
- estimate the nutritional requirements of specific groups including infants, elderly and athletes.
Written exam with multiple choice and open questions.
All course materials will be provided on Brightspace.
|Keuze voor:||MFT||Food Technology||MSc||E: Spec. E - Food Digestion and Health||2AF|
|MML||Molecular Life Sciences||MSc||A: Spec. A Biomedical Research||2AF|
|Verplicht voor:||WUNHE||BSc Minor Nutrition and Health||2AF|