|Excursion (one day)||4|
|Course coordinator(s)||prof. dr. ir. E Kampman|
|Lecturer(s)||prof. dr. ir. E Kampman|
|dr. ir. RM Winkels|
|dr. FJB van Duijnhoven|
|dr. DEG Kok|
|dr. K van Norren|
|dr. WT Steegenga|
|prof. dr. RF Witkamp|
|Examiner(s)||prof. dr. ir. E Kampman|
Language of instruction:
Thesis in this field.
This course will discuss the newest insights on the role of diet, lifestyle and body composition in the prevention and progression of cancer. Lectures will be provided by teachers involved in different disciplines of cancer research, i.e. on the level of the population, individual and cell. The course will be divided in three parts: 1) Cancer Etiology; 2) Cancer Screening, Diagnosis and Treatment; 3) Cancer Survival.
The following learning outcomes are formulated for the three parts of the course. After successful completion of the course students are expected to:
Part 1: Cancer Etiology
- understand the biological processes underlying the development and progression of cancer;
- know the major diet-related risk factors for cancer and the guidelines for primary cancer prevention;
Part 2: Cancer Screening, Diagnosis and Treatment
- understand the basics of cancer screening;
- have insight in the major diagnostic techniques & treatment modalities used to diagnose and treat cancer. Part 3: Cancer Survival
- know the major guidelines for tertiary cancer prevention;
- understand the role of diet, lifestyle and body composition in the progression of cancer, and in cancer survival.
In addition, students will be able to:
- form an opinion on a specific topic of diet and cancer based on studies on the level of the population, individual and cell;
- come to a consensus opinion through dialogue with multi-disciplinary scientists;
- prepare a report, a press-release, a poster and a pitch to present the consensus opinion to different stakeholders.
- excursion - visit to oncology centre;
- group work to come to a consensus opinion;
- self study of literature, guidelines and other materials.
To be announced on BB.
|Keuze voor:||MNH||Nutrition and Health||MSc||B: Nutritional Physiology and Health Status||1MO|
|MNH||Nutrition and Health||MSc||A: Epidemiology and Public Health||1MO|
|MNH||Nutrition and Health||MSc||C: Molecular Nutrition and Toxicology||1MO|