|Course coordinator(s)||dr. ir. MA Kabel|
|Lecturer(s)||dr. ir. AEM Janssen|
|dr. ir. MA Kabel|
|Examiner(s)||dr. ir. MA Kabel|
|dr. ir. AEM Janssen|
Language of instruction:
Note: This is a distance learning course. This course can not be combined in an individual programme with FCH-31306 Enzymology for Food and Biorefinery. For campus students this course can not replace FCH-31306 Enzymology for Food and Biorefinery.
This course builds on the enzymatic aspects of starch and plant carbohydrate (e.g. cellulose, xylan, pectin) degradation. The focus will be on the mode-of-action of various glycoside hydrolases and non-hydrolytic cellulose cleaving enzymes, including importance of 3D-structures. Examples of these enzymes in food and biorefinery processes are given. Catalytic mechanism, structure-function relations, mode of action under changing conditions, as well as enzyme kinetics will be extensively dealt with.
After successful completion of this course students are expected to be able to:
- understand the mode of action of different classes of hydrolytic and oxidative carbohydrate degrading enzymes;
- understand 3D-structures of enzymes via a digital case study and internet data bases;
- predict the course of an enzymatic process by kinetic calculations;
- design, evaluate and understand how to perform experiments with enzymes.
- knowledge clips, textual explanations and animations, including exercises with feedback;
- a case study to learn to understand 3D-structures of enzymes;
- a lab simulation case on amylases including report writing.
The final grade is based on a remote proctored written theory examination (70%) and a written report of the amylase simulation case (30%).
Requirements to pass:
- LabSim report: minimum grade: 5.0;
- Exam: minimum grade: 5.0;
Final grade (30% report, 70% exam): equal or higher than 5.5.
Information will be made available in Brightspace. A handbook for additional background reading, but not necessary to buy: Handbook of Food Enzymology (2003), Whitaker et al. (Ed), Marcel Dekker Inc, New
|Verplicht voor:||MFTDL||Spec. Food Technology DL||MSc||1DL|