|Course coordinator(s)||dr. ir. J Weijma|
|Lecturer(s)||dr. ir. JTC Grotenhuis|
|dr. RD van der Weijden|
|dr. ir. J Weijma|
|prof. dr. ir. CJN Buisman|
|Examiner(s)||prof. dr. ir. CJN Buisman|
Language of instruction:
Assumed knowledge on:
ETE-24804 Fundamentals of Environmental Technology + PCC-21802 Introductory Thermodynamics or comparable.
The subject of this course is the exploration of microbiological opportunities to recover resources within Environmental Technology, thereby closing material cycles with minimal losses. Thermodynamic, microbiological and biotechnological unified principles are used to assess the viability of those opportunities for application in practice. Viable opportunities are developed into technological concepts working at optimal energy conditions.
After successful completion of this course students are expected to be able to:
- assess the thermodynamic feasibility of biological reactions for resources recovery under actual conditions;
- assess the microbial biomass yield of biological reactions for resources recovery;
- evaluate substrate properties (toxicity, bioavailability, biodegradability) for their effect on biological processes for resource recovery;
- calculate the dimensions of bioreactors used for resource recovery;
- explain biofilm theory and use the equations involved;
- explain how biological processes can be used to produce recyclable crystals and minerals, and be able to use the involved mathematical relationships;
- use the acquired knowledge design a biological process to steer the microbial competition for substrates in mixed cultures in such a way that desired reactions occur.
- attending the lectures;
- literature research;
- studying the theory and work on a case study in a group.
Judgement from written exam (50%) and case portfolio (50%), provided that both are valued 5.5 or higher.
|Verplicht voor:||MBT||Biotechnology||MSc||E: Spec. E - Environmental and Biobased Biotechnology||4WD|
|Keuze voor:||MES||Environmental Sciences||MSc||C: Spec. C - Environmental Technology||4WD|
|MBS||Biobased Sciences||MSc||B: Spec. B - Biorefinery and Conversion||4WD|