|Course coordinator(s)||dr. ir. A ter Heijne|
|Lecturer(s)||dr. ir. A ter Heijne|
|dr. ir. DPBTB Strik|
|Examiner(s)||dr. ir. A ter Heijne|
|dr. ir. DPBTB Strik|
Language of instruction:
Assumed knowledge on:
ETE-24804 Fundamentals of Environmental Technology + PCC-21802 Introductory Thermodynamics or comparable.
Access to sufficient energy is a key prerequisite for any industrial society. Fossil fuels are the dominant energy source nowadays, but their use involves a number of problems: enhanced greenhouse effect, air pollution, and resource depletion. Energy savings and the use of renewable energy are directions for achieving an environmentally sustainable industrial society. This course will focus on harvesting sustainable energy sources as a key factor in solving environmental problems. Thermodynamics will be used to analyse the necessary energy conversion processes.
After successful completion of this course students are expected to be able to:
- analyse and calculate the potential of the different renewable energy sources (sun, wind, biomass, water, geothermal);
- understand the thermodynamic principles behind energy conversions;
- calculate and evaluate energy conversions and their efficiency by identifying losses based on entropy as a carrier of energy;
- make a justified proposal for a renewable energy chain based on thermodynamic analysis and understanding of conversion technologies, with attention to matching supply and demand.
Attending lectures, making assignments and studying literature to acquire knowledge on technologies, distribution, consumption and thermodynamic analysis. This knowledge will be applied in a case study, where an energy self-sufficient house will be analysed.
The final mark is composed of the results of:
- written exam (weight 70%), passing mark >5.0);
- case study (weight 30%, passing mark >5.0).
Successful partial interim examinations will remain valid for a period of 2 years.
Fuchs, Hans U. (2010). The Dynamics of Heat. 2ND ED. Springer-Verlag New York Inc. 746 P. ISBN-10 1441976035.
Additional hand-outs will be supplied during the course.
|Keuze voor:||MBT||Biotechnology||MSc||E: Environmental and Biobased Biotechnology||5MO|
|MES||Environmental Sciences||MSc||C: Environmental Technology||5MO|
|MBS||Biobased Sciences||MSc||B: Biorefinery and conversion||5MO|