|Course coordinator(s)||prof. dr. M Dicke|
|dr. M Kos|
|Lecturer(s)||prof. dr. M Dicke|
|dr. ir. VID Ros|
|prof. dr. ir. RAA van der Vlugt|
|dr. ir. W van der Werf|
|dr. ir. A Goverse|
|dr. ir. A Schouten|
|dr. VGAA Vleeshouwers|
|Examiner(s)||prof. dr. M Dicke|
Language of instruction:
ZSS06100 Laboratory Safety and ZSS06200 Fieldwork Safety
ENT-53806 Biological Control of Insects
This course takes an integrative approach to the development of durable cropping systems that connects different disciplines, with special emphasis on the control of diseases and pests and the breeding of crops for resistance to pests and diseases. The course includes information on:
- breeding for resistance against diseases and pests;
- control of plant diseases and pests with an emphasis on integrated approaches;
- integrative approaches to breeding and the control of pests and diseases;
- IPM; biological control of diseases and pests, chemical control, biotechnology for pest control, foodweb interactions, cultural control;
After successful completion of this course students are expected to be able to:
- explain the molecular plant - pathogen interaction, and how this knowledge is used for resistance breeding;
- explain the main factors that are important to understand the epidemiology of pests and diseases;
- describe the different methods of pest management to be used for the prevention of damage caused by plant pests, diseases and weeds, with an emphasis on environmentally sound and safe methods of pest control;
- develop decisions about integrated pest management by focusing on the interactions between plant pests and the abiotic and biotic factors that affect these pests.
- practical training;
- excursions, project work.
The examination is based on a multiple choice exam and performance in and reporting on the practical training and project work.
Acquaah. (2007). Principles of Plant Genetics and Breeding, 1st ed. ISBN 1405136464
Agrios. (2004). Plant Pathology, 5th ed. ISBN 0120445654.
|Verplicht voor:||BPW||Plant Sciences||BSc||6AF|