|Course coordinator(s)||AL Zhu|
|Lecturer(s)||dr. HP Weikard|
|dr. HP Weikard|
Language of instruction:
Assumed knowledge on:
As this is an advanced course on economics and policy, students are strictly required to have basic knowledge of economics (ENR-21306, ENR-20306, or equal level courses) and policy (ENR-20306, ENP-10806 or equal level courses); students can check their entrance level on the course's Brightspace site. Academic paper writing skills are assumed as well (e.g. Bachelor thesis).
This course builds upon introductory courses in environmental policy and environmental and resource economics and prepares students for thesis research in these fields. The course will elaborate on recent developments in policy and economics, inviting students to apply theoretical frames to actual environmental cases. Another key feature is the comparison between socio-political and economics approaches of environmental analysis.
Themes covered in the course include:
- decision making, risk and consumer behaviour (e.g. greening consumption);
- transboundary environmental management (e.g. river management);
- governing trade and environment (e.g. WTO).
After successful completion of this course students are expected to be able to:
- explain and compare key theoretical developments in political science and environmental economics, as presented in the course;
- apply the concepts and models of these theories as research tools for analysing specific case studies;
- critically assess the analytical strengths and weaknesses of these concepts and models in discussion with others;
- write and defend a paper in which they apply and evaluate a subset of theoretical concepts and models with reference to a self-chosen case.
- plenary lectures;
- working groups and discussion sessions;
- individual paper writing.
- preparatory group assignments and personal performance at seminars (33%);
- individual paper (33%);
- oral or written exam with open questions (33%).
To pass a minimum mark of 5.5 for each of the components is required.
See course guide.