|Excursion (one day)||8|
|Course coordinator(s)||dr. R Lie|
|Lecturer(s)||drs. N. de Heus (BUas)|
|dr. R Lie|
|Examiner(s)||dr. R Lie|
|drs. N. de Heus (BUas)|
Language of instruction:
Note: This course is part of the BSc Tourism, a joint degree programme of Wageningen University and Breda University of Applied Sciences. This course is open to students from other programmes. The course is not delivered at Wageningen University, but at Breda University of Applied Sciences in Breda. You can register for the course by contacting the course coordinator before the start of the course. The schedule for the academic year at Breda University of Applied Sciences differs from the schedule of Wageningen University. The periods mentioned are the periods of Wageningen University.
Future tourism experts need to be able to navigate through complex and often hidden cultural elements when they are in a dialogue with a foreign culture. This course not only addresses the complexity of working in and with other cultures, but also focusses on broader societal processes of cultural change. The course mainly follows an interpretative, ethnographic approach to analysing issues such as cultural identity, ethnicity, acculturation, cultural globalization, hybridity, authenticity, cultural heritage and commodification. Furthermore, it offers a survey of main theories and principles of intercultural communication, applies semiotics to understand visual forms of intercultural communication, and teaches how to act in a cultural sensitive way.
After successful completion of this course students are expected to be able to:
- evaluate main theories and principles of intercultural communication;
- analyse cultural dimensions of tourism related interventions;
- apply cultural sensitivity in an international context;
- understand and apply semiotics as a methodology to understand the hidden dimension of culture;
- organise and deliver a structured presentation for peers, teachers, scientists or stakeholders.
- literature study;
- plenary discussions;
- group and individual assignments, presenting.
- written exam;
- participation in activities and discussions;
- individual and group assignments.
To be announced.
|Verplicht voor:||BTO||Tourism (joint degree)||BSc||3WD+4WD+5WD+6WD|