Vak code vorig jaar: (SOQ-22803)
|Course coordinator(s)||dr. ir. MR Hoosbeek|
|Lecturer(s)||dr. ir. MR Hoosbeek|
|dr. ir. K Metselaar|
|dr. GF Koopmans|
|Examiner(s)||dr. ir. MR Hoosbeek|
Language of instruction:
Assumed knowledge on:
SGL-11303 Introduction to Soil Science
SOC-22306 Chemical Processes in Soil, Water, Atmosphere; SBL-21806 Soil Quality; SOC-21306 Soil Pollution and Soil Protection; SGL-33306 Geology and landscapes of the world, and SLM-21306 Subsurface Solute Transport.
For communication about this course send an e-mail to coordination.SOC22803@wur.nl
This course focusses on soil chemical, physical and biological processes. The soil is characterized as a buffering system with water and reactive soil particles affecting mobility and bioavailability of nutrients and contaminants. This affects soil organisms, plants and groundwater and thus soil quality. Processes like water flow, leaching, adsorption, precipitation and biodegradation are introduced. Also, the role of the soil system within biogeochemical cycling of carbon and nutrients is discussed. Tutorials support the lectures with assignments. Practicals improve relevant practical skills and illustrate important topics.
After successful completion of this course students are expected to be able to:
- identify and explain the basic physical, chemical and biological processes in soils;
- describe and apply basic approaches in soil quality and the role of soil systems in biogeochemical cycles;
- describe and quantify (analyse) important soil characteristics and soil processes.
- prepare and attend lectures and tutorials;
- answer assignments in textbook and tutorials;
- actively participate in the practicals.
- written closed book test;
- partly multiple choice questions;
- partly open questions and simple calculations;
- practicals are obligatory to pass the exam. Successful practicals remain valid for a period of 6 years.
Principles and Practice of Soil Science: the Soil as a Natural Resource. Fourth Edition. Robert E. White. Blackwell Publishing. ISBN/EAN 9780632064557.
|Verplicht voor:||BSW||Soil, Water, Atmosphere||BSc||4AF|
|BIL||International Land and Water Management||BSc||4AF|
|Keuze voor:||WULEA||BSc Minor Living Earth||4AF|