Vak code vorig jaar: (SOQ-22306)
|Course coordinator(s)||dr. ir. T Hiemstra|
|Lecturer(s)||dr. ir. T Hiemstra|
|prof. dr. AA Koelmans|
|dr. ir. LWA van Hove|
|Examiner(s)||dr. ir. T Hiemstra|
Language of instruction:
Assumed knowledge on:
PCC-12303 General Chemistry 1 and PCC-12403 General Chemistry 2; SOC-22803 Introduction to Soil Chemical, Physical and Biological Processes; AEW-23803 Water 2; MAQ-10306 Introduction Atmosphere.
MAQ-34806 Atmospheric Chemistry and Air Quality; SBL-21806 Soil Quality; SOC-21306 Soil pollution and soil protection; AEW-31306 Water Quality; SOC-34806 Applications in Soil and Water Chemistry.
The lectures and tutorials will cover the major chemical processes in Soil, Water, and Atmosphere in six themes. These themes are: Water composition & speciation (week 1), Mineral-water interactions: Dissolution & precipitation (week 2), Solid-solution interfaces: Particles, surfaces & adsorption (week 3), Sediment-water interactions (week 4), Troposphere chemistry (week 5), and Cloud formation & chemistry (week 6). The themes are quantitatively approached and exercised in the tutorials.
After successful completion of this course students are expected to be able to:
- recognize the role of chemistry in processes acting in soil, water, and atmosphere;
- describe the chemical composition and equilibrium speciation of the water phase in the system Soil-Water-Atmosphere;
- explain and interpret graphically major speciation processes related to mineral dissolution and formation;
- describe and apply basic processes of adsorption, regulating the behavior of minor components in the system Soil-Water-Atmosphere;
- explain and interpret graphically the basic redox processes in water-sediment systems;
- describe and explain the major equilibrium and dynamic processes regulating the composition of the atmosphere;
- solve questions in the field of soil, water, and atmospheric Chemistry by doing quantitative calculations under simplified conditions related to practical applications.
- attend lectures and tutorials;
- do chemical calculations and homework.
Written open book exams.
Lecture and tutorial notes:
I) Chemical processes in Soil-Water-Atmosphere: Elements of soil, water, and atmospheric chemistry;
II) Chemical processes in Soil-Water-Atmosphere: Answers and Tables.
|Verplicht voor:||BSW||Soil, Water, Atmosphere||BSc||2MO|
|Keuze voor:||MES||Environmental Sciences||MSc||2MO|