|Teaching method||Contact hours|
|Course coordinator(s)||dr. OA van Herwaarden|
|JJB van den Heuvel|
|Lecturer(s)||G de Kleuver|
|dr. OA van Herwaarden|
|Examiner(s)||dr. OA van Herwaarden|
Language of instruction:
Dutch (period 1 and 6) and English (period 1)
Assumed knowledge on:
Mathematics at the VWO level Wiskunde A, B, A1,2 or B1.
Note: This course can not be combined in an individual programme with MAT-14803 Mathematics 1 and/or MAT-14903 Mathematics 2 and/or MAT-15003 Mathematics 3.
Applied mathematics relevant for the social sciences: topics from matrix- and vector-algebra and analysis, including applications. Computer practicals to enlarge insight and skills.
After successful completion of this course students are expected to be able to:
- use and apply definitions and concepts from analysis and matrix- and vector algebra in a mathematical or an applied context;
- use and apply mathematical knowledge and methods to solve basic mathematical problems related to social sciences using a systematic approach;
- critically reflect upon the results by verifying them;
- interpret the results in terms of the problem that was modelled mathematically;
- use results of computer algebra in elaborating mathematical models from social sciences.
- active participation in tutorials and computer practicals;
- preparing for the tutorials and practicals, and keeping up with the subject matter.
Written test with open and/or multiple choice questions mark (100%). A simple electronic calculator (NOT a graphic calculator) is allowed.
M. de Gee. Mathematics that Works, volume 2: Analysis applied. Epsilon uitgaven. ISBN 978-90-5041-168-4. Available at the WUR-shop.
M. de Gee. Mathematics that Works, volume 3: Vectors and matrices applied. Epsilon uitgaven. ISBN 978-90-5041-169-1. Available at the WUR-shop.
O.A. van Herwaarden [et.al]. Handleiding Wiskunde M (2019) and Practicumopdrachten Wiskunde M (2019). Available at the WUR-shop.
|Compulsory for:||BBC||Management and Consumer Studies||BSc||6MO|
|BIN||International Development Studies||BSc||1MO|
|Restricted Optional for:||MME||Management, Economics and Consumer Studies||MSc||A: Business Studies||1MO|