|Course coordinator(s)||JBM Klok|
|Lecturer(s)||dr. ir. H Bruning|
|dr.ir. JE Dykstra|
|Examiner(s)||dr. ir. H Bruning|
Language of instruction:
Assumed knowledge on:
MAT-14903 Mathematics 2, MAT-15003 Mathematics 3 and BCT-22803 Physical Transport Phenomena.
ETE-21306 Water Treatment.
This course first deals with reaction kinetics, including zero-order, first-order and Monod kinetics. It is shown how experimental data can be used to assess and estimate kinetic parameters. Kinetics and stoichiometry are combined in mass balances for several reactor types that are commonly used by environmental engineers (e.g. completely stirred tanks and plug flow reactors). This results in simple mathematical models to calculate reactor volumes and predict reactor performance. The second part of the course deals with equilibrium and mass transfer processes. Mass transfer equations combined with mass balances are used to model several processes, including multi-stage counter current gas washers, oxygen transfer in bio-reactors and solid waste treatment. The models are used to identify mass transfer limitations and to make designs of process equipment.
After successful completion of this course students are expected to be able to:
- demonstrate understanding of different types of kinetics;
- estimate kinetics parameters from experimental data;
- combine reaction kinetics and stoichiometry in models for several reactor configurations;
- use these models to calculate reactor volumes en predict performance;
- construct models based on mass transfer equations and mass balances;
- use these models to design process equipment and identify mass transfer limitations;
- analyse and evaluate experimental data and concisely report about the results.
- interactive lectures;
- written open book exam (50%);
- case assignment reports (50%).
In order to pass the examination, a passing mark (5.5 or higher) in each individual part is required.
All reading materials will be provided in Brightspace.
|Verplicht voor:||BES||Environmental Sciences||BSc||C: Spec. C - Environmental Technology||5AF|
|Keuze voor:||WUBIT||BSc Minor Biotechnology||5AF|