Students looking for a challenge next to their regular BSc study programme, may opt for the BSc Honours Programme. It is a challenging programme of 30 credits especially designed for and only open to a selected group of highly motivated and talented students. There is one Honours Programme for the entire University. This allows you to work with students from other study programmes. The Honours Programme will be on top of your regular bachelor study programme and has an extra workload of 30 credits. It is scheduled during all three BSc years, mostly outside regular education hours: evenings, weekends, the study week before the exams, the re-exam weeks and/or summer holidays. Students will be selected for the programme in two steps: at the entrance of the orientation course, and after this course for the rest of the programme.
The first activity of the BSc Honours Programme is the orientation course, running in period 4 and 5 of the first bachelor year. This course will give you a flavour of the real Honours Programme. It consists of an interdisciplinary master class and a personal development track. After this course you and we can decide whether or not you should continue with the 'Honours Programme'. In the last week of the summer break, the real programme starts. All selected students will spend a week together at Texel. During this kick-off week you will start with the main project of your Honours Programme called the 'Honours Investigation Project'. Within a team you are working intensively on a topic of your team's choice. Your team will be guided by a coach. Next to the Honours Investigation Project you will get more challenging assignments within your own study programme by the so called 'Honours Cards'. You will also spend extra time on your BSc thesis. This part of the programme is tailor-made: you can make your own choices for the most interesting topics. During your second and third year you will meet regularly with your personal tutor to discuss your personal goals and how to attain these.
Within the BSc Honours Programme you get the chance to meet inspiring lecturers, explore the forefront of knowledge, meet with experts and leaders of industry and set and realise personal targets. The overall goal of the programme is to prepare you for scientific, societal and personal leadership in a society that is increasingly affected by changes.
- identify, analyse and solve complex issues within the domain, beyond the BSc level;
- integrate disciplinary knowledge in a challenging, multidisciplinary research project;
- define, persist and finish a long term and student managed group project;
- discuss and debate issues in science and society based on scientific arguments including ethical and philosophical considerations;
- build and maintain a network in science, society and business, supporting one's academic and professional career;
- show a purposefully directed personal development;
- develop one's authentic leadership style by inspiring others and by showing vision and initiative.
Ir. A. Hendriksen