|Teaching method||Contact hours|
|Practical intensively supervised||24|
|Course coordinator(s)||dr. JA Hageman|
|Lecturer(s)||dr. G Gort|
|dr. M Malosetti|
|drs WMJG Baak|
|dr. G Dik|
|dr. ir. ARH Fischer|
|dr. JA Hageman|
|dr. JV Meijering|
|Examiner(s)||dr. ir. ARH Fischer|
|dr. JA Hageman|
Language of instruction:
Assumed knowledge on:
Designing a quantitative research:
- types of research questions for surveys and experiments in Social Sciences;
- sampling procedures;
- estimation, confidence intervals and testing hypothesis; - cross-tables;
- regression analysis: introduction, meaning parameters, parameter estimation, t-test for one linear combination of the parameters, F-tests for linear restrictions;
- analysis of variance: one-way, factorial designs;
- factor analysis: scale development, loadings, interpretation;
- practical work using SPSS.
After this course the student is expected to:
- comprehend the basic ideas of statistical inference, study design and data collection relevant to surveys and experiments that are typical for the social sciences;
- understand the backgrounds, the goals, assumptions and features of the data analysis techniques;
- be able to determine the appropriate statistical procedure, given the description of the study design, the research question and the type of data;
- be able to carry out the needed analyses for the discussed situations and interpret the results in terms of the problem;
- be able to perform independently data analysis techniques with the computer package SPSS
In an introductory lecture relevant research questions from the field of social sciences will be discussed. During the interactive lectures problem sets are worked out and discussed. During the computer practicals students learn how to analyse data using SPSS. Every week they get a home assignment, which is embedded in a case study.
Written exam and assignments.
- Discovering Statistics using SPSS for Windows by Andy Field, third edition ISBN 9781847879073;
- lecture notes (WUR Shop);
- supplementary handouts.