Bioinformatics is a highly interdisciplinary rapidly developing branch of life science and aims to characterize the molecular components of living systems. It offers the research and developing tool for systems biology. Bioinformatics gains knowledge from large scale systematic analysis of biological data.
These can consist of static information stored in the genetic code and of dynamic data obtained from experimental results from various sources and scientific literature. Bioinformatics uses techniques and concepts from informatics, statistics, mathematics, molecular biology and biochemistry and has many practical applications in different areas of life sciences.
After successful completion of this MSc programme graduates are expected to be able to:
- select, understand, apply and integrate skills and knowledge in basic and applied disciplines of bioinformatics;
- develop a research plan in which research question, hypothesis, data collection and analysis are described in relation to relevant literature;
- handle and apply large scale biological information, particularly genetic information;
- execute techniques and systematic methods to use large scale biological information to solve biological questions;
- co-operate in an international multi-disciplinary team (including planning activities, taking responsibilities and motivating co-workers) on a bioinformatic or systems biology -oriented research question, design or development problem;
- determine and solve complex biological problems in teams in an integrated approach;
- communicate verbally and in writing about the results of learning, experiments and project work with colleagues and non-colleagues;
- reflect upon personal knowledge, skills, attitudes and functioning, both individually and in discussions with others )including the interested party and experts) and design and plan their own learning path.
Dr. S. Isken
Dr.ir. J. Wellink
Chair: dr. S. Isken
Secretary: P. van Dijk
Codon is the study association for Biotechnology
However, Bioinformatics students are also welcome
Membership Euro 10 per year
Forum, Droevendaalsesteeg 2, 6708 PB Wageningen
Internal Postal Code: 135