The transition from fossil to sustainable energy and biobased materials requires technical innovation and different approaches in chain management. The BSc minor Bio-based Sciences focuses on technical strategies to replace fossils by bio-mass. Strategies to produce suitable biomass and principles of biorefinery will be introduced. Attention is drawn to a number of renewable resource applications, to renewable energy production as well as production of biobased materials and basic micro-economy. This BSc minor is a programme minor.
After successful completion of this minor students are expected to be able to:
- describe how a biobased economy can be developed and the technical, social and political barriers that should be overcome;
- describe technologies required for different applications of renewable resources;
- explain strategies to provide the biobased economy with suitable biomass;
- explain basic principles biorefinery;
- illustrate the term 'sustainability' and determine a personal opinion on sustainability;
- judge if a described petrochemical application can be replaced by biobased technology.
Language of Instruction
BSc Minor Coordinator
Dr ir S. Isken
This minor is interesting for all students of bèta BSc programmes. The minor prepares students for the MSc Biobased Sciences.