|Teaching method||Contact hours|
|Course coordinator(s)||ir. AA Hulzebosch|
|Lecturer(s)||ir. AA Hulzebosch|
|dr. ing. RPMA Crooijmans|
|Examiner(s)||dr. ing. RPMA Crooijmans|
Language of instruction:
ZSS06100 Laboratory Safety
The students will get a basic knowledge in biological basis of animal production and biological processes in farm animals and companion animals. The following topics are discussed such as:
1. Biological basis of animal production:
a. animal products: milk, meat, eggs, fish;
b. feed and feeding: foodstuff, digestive organs;
c. health: pathogens, disease resistance, disease prevention.
2. Biological processes:
a. metabolism: temperature regulation, locomotion and behaviour;
b. growth and development: growth curves, genetic size and body composition;
c. reproduction: principles, lactation, egg production;
d. biological limits: housing, liveability.
The course is divided in 11 cases, each consisting of self-study material and a practical related to the topic of the case. In most cases one animal species will play a central role but comparative biology is applied as well. During the practicals the students will learn practical skills in measuring phenotypes with different animals and interpret the measurements with different aspects of biological processes on animal as well as on molecular level. Furthermore they will learn how to deal with a variety of different animals.
After successful completion of this course students are expected to be able to:
- retrieve relevant basic knowledge of anatomy, feed, feeding and health of farm and companion animals;
- recall basic knowledge of the development, growth, processing, quality and biology of different products of farm animals;
- recognize and explain principles of metabolism, growth, reproduction, breeding, genetics, immunology and behaviour of farm and companion animals.
- practicals and demonstrations;
- the exam is a computer-exam with multiple choice questions.
When all practicals and other obligations are fulfilled the final grade will be available.
Study guide and online information.
|Compulsory for:||BAS||Animal Sciences||BSc||3WD|
|Restricted Optional for:||BAT||Biosystems Engineering||BSc||3WD|