|Teaching method||Contact hours|
|Course coordinator(s)||prof. dr. KE Giller|
|Lecturer(s)||ir. MJ Zijlstra|
|dr. ir. MA Slingerland|
|ing. HCA Rijk|
|ing. MTMH Lubbers|
|dr. R Hijbeek|
|dr. ir. L Bastiaans|
|W Marinus MSc|
|prof. dr. KE Giller|
|LS Woittiez MSc|
|Examiner(s)||prof. dr. KE Giller|
Language of instruction:
Assumed knowledge on:
PPS-20306 Systems Analysis, Simulation and Systems Management; PAME: Plant, Animal, Man and Environment. http://www.pame.wur.nl/ module 2: plant production; CSA-20306 Plant-Soil Interactions.
The course presents a sustainability analysis of relevant processes in crops, cropping systems and grasslands. The time horizon extends from days to several growing seasons; analyses include the soil balances of water, nutrients and carbon. Emissions and external effects of emissions are treated. Insight is gained into: natural agro-ecological and socio-economic determinants of cropping systems; multiple cropping systems including intercropping, crop rotations and agroforestry; long-term carbon and nutrient balances of agro-ecosystems; soil degradation and its determinants. The student will use relevant dynamic models and tools for spatial analysis including GIS.
After successful completion of this course students are expected to be able to:
- demonstrate insight into the agro-ecological and socio-economic determinants of cropping and grassland systems;
- describe and explain the benefits and disadvantages of multiple cropping systems including intercropping, crop rotations and agroforestry;
- interpret long-term carbon and nutrient balances of agro-ecosystems;
- illustrate soil degradation and its determinants;
- evaluate cropping systems and grassland management systems with respect to sustainability indices e.g. (soil quality, water and nutrient productivity) and external effects;
- apply relevant dynamic models and tools for spatial analysis including GIS;
- quantify the major interactions that occur between different components (soils, crops, fodder, livestock) of production systems in time and space.
- actively attending lectures;
- analyses of case studies;
- preparing and discussing oral presentations;
- computer practicals on relevant models.
Written 3 hours exam with open questions (65%). The remaining 35% of the mark for the continual assessment of presentations and assignments (oral presentations and/or reports on agroecological characterization, nutrient budgets, carbon stocks, water and FARMSIM will be assessed). The minimum mark of 5.5 is applied separately for the examination and the continual assessment.
Study guide and syllabus.
|Restricted Optional for:||MOA||Organic Agriculture||MSc||A: Agroecology||5AF|
|MPS||Plant Sciences||MSc||C: Natural Resource Management||5AF|
|MPS||Plant Sciences||MSc||A: Crop Science||5AF|