|Teaching method||Contact hours|
Language of instruction:
Spoken language Dutch or English (depending on the study program), all written materials in English, examination in English.
Assumed knowledge on:
MAT-14803 Mathematics 1 or Dutch VWO Wiskunde B or comparable education.
MAT-15003 Mathematics 3.
Note: This course can not be combined in an individual programme with MAT-12806 Mathematics M.
Note: Only for e-mails that students send to the e-mail address MAT2.email@example.com can we guarantee that they will be treated adequately. All other e-mails run the risk of disappearing in the bulk of e-mails that contact persons already receive in their personal e-mail.
- sequences and series; iteration processes;
- calculus: differentiation and integration;
- simple first order differential equations.
After successful completion of this course students are expected to be able to:
- use and apply definitions and concepts from calculus in a mathematical or an applied context;
- use and apply mathematical knowledge and methods to solve basic mathematical problems in the life-, environmental and technological sciences using a systematic approach;
- correctly report mathematical reasoning and argumentation;
- critically reflect upon the results by verifying them;
- interpret the results in terms of the problem that was modelled mathematically;
- use mathematical software in elaborating mathematical models.
- before each lesson: extensive preparation by studying the subject matter of the lesson, doing the assigned exercises and formulating questions for the teacher;
- during each lesson: active participation by asking questions and by doing the assigned exercises (possibly in cooperation with other students);
- after each lesson: recapitulation of and reflection on the subject matter of the lesson;
- computer practical (compulsory).
- written test with open questions and/or multiple choice questions, which needs to be passed (contribution to final mark: 100%); a simple electronic calculator (NOT a graphic calculator) is allowed.
- the practical (attendance compulsory) has to be completed with the grading 'sufficient'.
A sufficient practical result remains valid for a period of six study years.
M. de Gee, Mathematics that Works volume 2: Analysis applied. Epsilon Uitgaven. ISBN: 978-90-5041-168-4, available at the WUR-shop.
L. Hemerik and J.D. Stigter, Manual Mathematics 2. Available at the WUR-shop.
|BSW||Soil, Water, Atmosphere||BSc||3AF|
|BBN||Forest and Nature Conservation||BSc||2MO|
|BLP||Landscape Architecture and Planning||BSc||2MO|
|BIL||International Land and Water Management||BSc||3MO|
|BML||Molecular Life Sciences||BSc||1AF|
|Restricted Optional for:||MFN||Forest and Nature Conservation||MSc||2AF, 2MO|