|Teaching method||Contact hours|
|Course coordinator(s)||dr. M Derks|
|prof. dr. ir. PWG Groot Koerkamp|
|dr. PPJ van der Tol|
|drs. APHM Janssen|
|Examiner(s)||prof. dr. ir. PWG Groot Koerkamp|
|prof. dr. ir. EJ van Henten|
Language of instruction:
For the MSc thesis completion of two courses is mandatory:
- one course out of FTE-31306 Greenhouse Technology; FTE-32806 Automation for Bio-production; FTE-35306 Machine Learning; FTE-35806 Precision Farming; and
- one other relevant FTE MSc course, depending on the field of work (see Contents).
The MSc thesis enables the student to put their acquired knowledge and skills into practice by individually and independently conducting a research project in the field of the programme.
After successful completion of this course students are expected to be able to:
- develop a research plan, including the wider scientific context, identification of the knowledge gap, formulation of research questions, aims and objectives, and design of the project including approach, methods and tools;
- collect, select and process data, using the approach, methods and tools described in the research plan;
- analyse and synthesize the data, in order to answer the research questions;
- formulate answers to the research questions that are supported by the research outcomes, pay attention to potential limitations, and relate the outcomes to the wider scientific context;
- report on the research both in writing and in oral presentation;
- work in compliance with academic codes of conduct, and with proper management of time and resources;
- make use of input and feedback for executing the research project as well as provide feedback to others.
Create and present a
project proposal & planning, carry out the project, join in project
meetings, write a project report and present results during the final
The student is supervised by a member of the Chair Group FTE. The student visits at least one intake meeting to consult with the chair about the thesis subject. The student can start with the thesis any time of the year.
For a detailed overview of the process and instructions on the content of the report, please check out the course guide in Brightspace.
For the assessment, reviewers/examiners use the MSc Thesis Assessment Form. The average grade for each category (research competence, thesis report, colloquium, examination) should be at least 5.5 for a pass.