|Teaching method||Contact hours|
|Course coordinator(s)||dr. ir. A van 't Ooster|
|Lecturer(s)||dr. RJC van Ooteghem|
|dr. ir. A van 't Ooster|
|Examiner(s)||dr. ir. A van 't Ooster|
Language of instruction:
This course is closely related to the course Physical Transport Phenomena (BCT-22803) and has the objective to introduce the students to the climate engineering items relevant for the bachelor Biosystems Engineering (BAT). The following subjects are part of the course:
- building physics - thermal insulation of constructions and thermal stability of constructions and room systems;
- psychrometrics - physical properties of humid air, and air conditioning processes;
- comfort areas for indoor climate;
- ventilation requirement calculation;
- design and evaluation of air distribution systems;
- energy demand for agro-production in buildings;
- solar energy - passive and active for solar energy collection and use.
After successful completion of this course students are expected to be able to:
- assess thermal behaviour of a room system, based on physical properties of the room envelope;
- apply the psychrometrics chart and corresponding equations in calculations on conditioning of air;
- understand and evaluate climate control processes used for different air conditioning aims;
- apply energy balance equations on problems like calculation of the required ventilation of agricultural production systems in buildings, calculation of the yearly energy need of agricultural buildings, or evaluation of energy saving options;
- perform calculations on passive and active systems to collect and use solar energy including the effect on the sustainability of the production system from an energy point of view;
- design and evaluate simple air distribution systems for positive pressure systems like perforated ducts and channels.
- practical trainings (cases).
- written exam (open book exam with open questions); practical trainings require a pass.
Reader and Brightspace content.
|Compulsory for:||BAT||Biosystems Engineering||BSc||5AF|