|Teaching method||Contact hours|
|Course coordinator(s)||dr. ir. CAP Buijsse|
|Lecturer(s)||prof. dr. ir. RM Boom|
|dr. ir. CAP Buijsse|
|Examiner(s)||dr. ir. CAP Buijsse|
|prof. dr. ir. RM Boom|
Language of instruction:
Note: This is a distance learning course. This course can not be combined in an individual programme with FPE-30806 Sustainable Food and Bioprocessing. For campus students FPE-35303 + FPE-35403 can replace FPE-30806 Sustainable Food and Bioprocessing.
In this course we will study the influences of different choices in food production and processing methods. The evaluation of existing and new technologies requires appropriate evaluation instruments, plus a process system design that allows optimal use of resources and technologies. This course will provide the analytical instruments of Exergy Analysis, for the objective evaluation on efficient use of raw materials, energy, water and other utilities for various food production systems (from large-scale supply chain, factory level, down to product and unit operation level).
After successful completion of this course students are expected to be able to:
- perform exergy calculations;
- analyse efficiency of process systems with exergy analysis;
- prepare Grassmann diagrams for exergy flow and destruction in food and bioprocess systems;
- identify thermodynamic (in)efficiencies, relate these to practical issues and options for improvement;
- suggest improvements both in unit operations and in larger-scale production systems;
- synthesize an overall vision on process efficiency and limitations and possibilities for improvement of sustainability in production processes.
For this DL course, all course materials are all shared online: Reader, Knowledge clips (video clips), digital interactive exercises (with feedback and answers), case studies, supporting software (ESankey). In addition, various online interaction interfaces are used (blogs, feedback fruits).
Remote proctered written exam (75%)
All information will be provided online.
|Restricted Optional for:||MFTDL||Master Spec. Food Technology DL (2020)||MSc||6DL|