|Teaching method||Contact hours|
Language of instruction:
At least 12 credits in the described MFS or MFQ programme must have been successfully completed at the closing time of the course registration.
Assumed knowledge on:
FHM-30306 Risk Assessment of Foods; LAW-30806 Food Law, TOX-30306 Food Toxicology; FHM-35806 Advanced Food Microbiology or LAW-30806 Food Law; LAW-31806 Global Economic (Trade) Law and Risk Regulation, LAW-32306 Intellectual Property Rights and FHM-20806 Food Hazards.
NOTE: Due to course logistics, students cannot register for this course later than March 15th.
The course is an advanced course at the end of the first year of the MSc Food Safety and MSc Food Quality Management in which students act as risk managers, who in their actions take into account the various perspectives of risks such as scientific, managerial, ethical, political, legal and economic. Students will have to provide arguments for their propositions and cooperate in teams. A practical case is supported by lectures.
After successful completion of this course students are expected to be able to:
- contribute as a specialist to the solution of complex problems;
- make use of risk assessment in formulating risk management options;
- propose risk management options taking into account scientific, societal, economic, legal, ethical and communication considerations;
- underpin an advice with arguments and adjust the scientific message to the audience;
- defend propositions in large meetings;
- apply risk management techniques in different situations;
- design a crisis protocol;
- effectively function in a multidisciplinary, international team;
- reflect on the performance of the team and the personal contribution.
- case studies;
- writing, presentation and discussion;
- computer based cases.
- crisis protocol (10%);
- observations during group meeting and plenary meetings (20%);
- report (30%);
- self reflection report (10%);
- written exam consisting of open and/or closed questions (30%).
All separate parts must be passed with at least 5.0. Completion of 2 E-modules is required. The grades for the case study report and crisis protocol are valid for 2 years.
Literature will be provided at the beginning of the course and will be made available through Brightspace.
|Compulsory for:||MFS||Food Safety||MSc||6WD|
|MFQ||Food Quality Management||MSc||A: Spec. A - Quality Control and Assurance||6WD|