|Teaching method||Contact hours|
|Course coordinator(s)||dr. ir. MW Reij|
|Examiner(s)||dr. ir. MW Reij|
Language of instruction:
Assumed knowledge on:
Basic knowledge of food science, food processing or food technology. FHM-1AA02 Food safety E modules for European Masters – A basics
Food safety E modules for European Masters – B advanced;
Note: This course is only open for students in the European Master in Food Studies specialisation of the MSc Food Technology.
Extensive introduction into sampling and monitoring for microbiological food safety. It covers: sampling plans, accuracy and/or uncertainty, basic statistics underlying enumeration, the use of most probable number (MPN), and effect of heterogeneously distributed contamination. Monitoring, verification and validation relating to both product and process are also discussed.
After successful completion of this course students are expected to be able to:
- apply elementary statistical techniques to the field of food microbiology;
- calculate the reliability of different sampling plans;
- take account of general uncertainties;
- take account of heterogeneous (vs. homogeneous) contamination;
- understand the application of sampling as part of food safety assurance.
The course consists of background materials and multiple-choice assignments with integrated feedback. Digital case study.
Completion of E modules on digital platform is required. No exam.
All materials are available online on a learning platform.