|Teaching method||Contact hours|
|Course coordinator(s)||dr. ir. MW Reij|
|Examiner(s)||dr. ir. MW Reij|
Language of instruction:
Assumed knowledge on:
Basic knowledge of food science, food processing or food technology. FHM-1AA02 Food safety E modules for European Masters – A basics
Food safety E modules for European Masters – C advanced
Note: This course is only open for students in the European Master in Food Studies specialisation of the MSc Food Technology.
Introduction to hygienic design of food processing equipment and prevention of hazards by factory zoning/layout.
Extensive introduction into food preservation, covering preservation microbiology, bottle neck organisms, hurdle technology, and the effects of physical and chemical changes and enzymatic activity on preservation.
After successful completion of this course students are expected to be able to:
- assess the importance of effective Hygienic Design in relation to public safety, to product quality and to cost effectiveness;
- classify a process into the level of hygiene required, based on the susceptibility of the product and the process;
- understand the needs for and mechanisms of preservation;
- understand the importance of bottleneck organisms;
- relate preservation principles to product design;
- calculate the efficacy of a heat process and interpret its key parameters.
The course consists of background materials and multiple-choice assignments with integrated feedback + digital case study on hygienic design.
Completion of E modules on digital platform is required. No exam.
All materials are available online on a learning platform.