|Teaching method||Contact hours|
|Course coordinator(s)||prof. dr. EJ Smid|
|Lecturer(s)||ir. HJF van Valenberg|
|dr. ir. MA Kabel|
|dr. ir. MAI Schutyser|
|prof. dr. EJ Smid|
|dr. ir. E Bijl|
|Examiner(s)||prof. dr. ir. MH Zwietering|
|prof. dr. EJ Smid|
Language of instruction:
Assumed knowledge on:
FHM-20306 Food Microbiology, FPE-20306 Food Process Engineering.
FHM-30806 Advanced Fermentation Science.
This course provides theory about micro-organisms used in fermentation processes and about application of these microbes in food fermentation processes. Theoretical background of functional micro-organisms (lactic acid bacteria, yeasts and moulds), their behavior as fermentation starters, process engineering aspects of the formation of biomass and products, and of modern biotechnology in food fermentation will be dealt with. In addition, applied aspects (commodity technologies) and skills (laboratory fermentations, interaction between theory and practice) are part of the course. The practical class consists of modules dealing with beer fermentation, dairy (yoghurt) fermentation, and computer aided simulations giving insight into important parameters and orders of magnitude.
After successful completion of this course students are expected to be able to:
- understand the role of fermentation microorganisms in major food fermentations;
- understand the (bio)chemical activities and conversions that take place during fermentations, and their impact on quality and safety;
- understand and carry out simple calculations on stoichiometry, microbial growth & transfer processes during food fermentations;
- carry out food fermentation processes and monitor their progress by measurements and analyses.
The activities consist of :
- formal lectures;
- laboratory classes:
- computer simulations;
- written presentations on thematic subjects such as lactic acid fermentation and alcoholic fermentation.
The final grade is based on:
- performance during the laboratory-classes and report (40%), to be passed with at least 5.5;
- a written theory examination (60%) to be passed with at least 5.5.
Combined hand-outs covering the lectures, a guide book for laboratory classwork and background information will be made available in Learning environment@WUR.
|Compulsory for:||MFT||Food Technology||MSc||A: Food Biotechnology and Biorefining||1MO|
|Restricted Optional for:||MFT||Food Technology||MSc||E: Dairy Science and Technology||1MO|
|MFT||Food Technology||MSc||B: Food Innovation and Management||1MO|
|MFT||Food Technology||MSc||H: Sustainable Food Process Engineering||1MO|
|MFT||Food Technology||MSc||E: Dairy Science and Technology||1MO|