|Teaching method||Contact hours|
|Course coordinator(s)||AL Zhu|
|Lecturer(s)||dr. TAP Metze-Burghouts|
|prof. dr. EHP Frankema|
|dr. A Dewulf|
|prof. dr. ir. JWM van Dijk|
Language of instruction:
Assumed knowledge on:
SDC-36306 Perspectives and Themes in International Development Studies;
SDC-23306 Law and Political Power or equivalent.
PAP-31306 Politics, Policy Making and Accountability in International Arenas for Development
This course offers in-depth knowledge on current theories and themes about politics and governance, from a variety of social-scientific disciplines. To understand politics and governance in the domain of international development studies this course is based on the insights of political science, public administration, political anthropology, legal pluralism and history. To get more insight in the dynamics of politics and governance for international development this course focuses on state-building processes, power, regime formation, institutions, network and discursive approaches, legal pluralism, governance and questions of legitimacy, representation and accountability.
After successful completion of this course students are expected to be able to:
1. Interpret influential theories and themes within political science, legal pluralism and governance approaches relevant to international development studies;
2. Apply the key concepts developed within theories on politics and governance in the domain of international development studies;
3. Analyze and evaluate contemporary problems, developments and issues in development practices with the theories and themes of this course;
4. Critically assess the application of the theories and themes of this course in international development governance practices.
Plenary lectures, tutorials and structured debates/group work.
- written test with open questions (75%);
- assessment of individual assignments (25%).
Each component requires a minimum mark of 5.5 to pass.
Articles and book chapters.
|Compulsory for:||MID||International Development Studies||MSc||D: Spec. D - Politics and Governance of Development||2MO|