The BSc Minor Communication for Change provides students a comprehensive introduction to the interdisciplinary field of strategic communication. After a general introduction, the minor offers basic insight in social psychological mechanisms and offers specialised courses to zoom in on communication and individual change, and on communication and organisational change. Courses address the role of communication in the process of individual and collective problem solving and change. Courses that are more focused on the individual address psychological mechanisms that shape human behaviour, and touches on issues such as self-perception, prejudice, pro-social behaviour, (group) conflict, and interpersonal behaviour. Other courses are more focused on collective problem solving and change, and look at the factors that influence both external and internal communication. Here the emphasis is on the importance and challenge of linking external communication to processes of internal communication and organisational change. In their future work, all students with a life sciences or social sciences background can benefit from understanding human communication processes in relation to individual and organisational problem solving and change. This BSc minor is a programme minor.
After successful completion of this minor students are expected to be able to:
- explain the basic theories regarding human communication and change;
- understand the potential and limitations of different types and forms of communicative intervention;
- explain the basic social psychological mechanisms that are relevant to understanding individual and collective behaviour;
- understand the social psychological mechanisms through which communication can influence perceptions, attitudes, intentions and individual behaviour;
- analyse the role of (and relations between) external and internal communication in organisations;
- translate and apply these insights to practical problem situations in their own domain of study.
Language of Instruction
Dutch and English
BSc Minor Coordinator
- Dr. J.N. Leerlooijer
This minor is interesting for students of a broad range of BSc programmes.