|Teaching method||Contact hours|
|Excursion (one day)||24|
|Course coordinator(s)||dr. ir. PA Roncken|
|Lecturer(s)||Z Ramos Bendana|
|dr. ir. KBM Peters|
|Examiner(s)||dr. ir. PA Roncken|
|dr. ir. KBM Peters|
Language of instruction:
Integrated Studio 1, Integrated Studio 2
This introductory course offers a varied perspective on landscape related research and theory. It exemplifies the relevance of the Wageningen expertise of science informed planning and design by drawing on relevant cultural, political, ecological and technical knowledge. Students will be introduced to key concepts in cultural geography, spatial planning and landscape architecture. An excursion program will allow students to recognize and discuss the everyday value of these key concepts.
Students will be challenged to develop an opinion about the quality of contemporary projects according to different perspectives, like those of planners, designers, ecologists, geographers, local communities, and politicians.
After successful completion of this course students are expected to be able to:
- recognize the basic terms of landscape architecture, spatial planning and cultural geography as may be encountered in science and society;
- apply the basic terms and concepts to analyse and interpret landscapes in the context of a landscape of personal choice;
- recognize roles and products of landscape architects and spatial planners, and recognize the role of cultural geography for the professions of landscape architects and spatial planners.
- follow introduction and instruction lectures;
- take part in debate sessions;
- take part in several field trips;
- prepare a reflective paper;
- gather high quality visual material as illustration.
The final assessment is made on the basis of the average of four results:
- Cultural Geography perspective on a favorite landscape in 600-800 words + visualizations.
- Spatial Planning perspective on the same favorite landscape in 600-800 words + visualizations.
- Landscape Architectural perspective on the same favorite landscape in 600-800 words + visualizations.
- Lay-out quality of booklet and quality of scientific writing (wording, literature and illustration references).
Total grade: 100% = 25% Cultural Geography perspective + 25% Spatial Planning perspective + 25% Landscape Architectural perspective + 25% Quality of Booklet and scientific writing.
In case of grades below 5.5: When a student fails one of the tests as described above, the failed task can be taken again in the re-exam periods in February 2021 and/or August 2021. When the result of the exam is still insufficient after the re-exam taken in August 2021 all tests have to be taken during a (re-) exam period in a next study year.
Literature encompasses selected reading in Dutch and English. See Brightspace and the course schedule for an overview of all the materials.
|Compulsory for:||BLP||Landscape Architecture and Planning||BSc||1MO|