This Study Handbook is published with reservation. It is not official yet.
|Teaching method||Contact hours|
|Course coordinator(s)||dr. ir. WAH Rossing|
|Lecturer(s)||ir. C van Veluw|
|dr. ir. WAH Rossing|
|dr. ir. FJJA Bianchi|
|dr. ir. JCJ Groot|
|dr. DF van Apeldoorn|
|RL de Adelhart Toorop|
|Examiner(s)||dr. ir. WAH Rossing|
Language of instruction:
ZSS06200 Fieldwork Safety
Assumed knowledge on:
Principles of (organic) crop and animal production, agro-ecology, plant and animal nutrition, and crop protection.
Note: This course has a maximum number of participants. The deadline for registration is one week earlier than usual.
See Academic Year.( http://www.wur.nl/en/Education-Programmes/Current-Students/Agenda-Calendar-Academic-Year.htm) -> Registration for Courses.
- biophysical setting of farms as systems;
- design approaches;
- indicators of farm performance: concepts and measurement;
- design of well-functioning, mixed organic farming systems.
After successful completion of this course students are expected to be able to:
- distinguish and analyze the main components of complex farming systems based on observations, in situ measurements, information from the farmer, calculations at field and farm level, and concepts of farming systems functioning;
- evaluate the landscape setting of farms in terms of natural pest suppression potential;
- evaluate performance of farming systems in terms of balances of natural resources, labour, and money;
- (re-) design a sustainable mixed farming system, and do so in an action-research setting for a case study farm-landscape combination.
- field and field-laboratory practicals;
- computer practicals;
- farm practical;
Note: The farm practical includes a period of 10 days and requires a financial contribution of the students to cover costs.
The final grade of the course will be based on a written exam (45%), presentations during the course (5%) and the report of the re-design assignment (50%). Marks for all elements should be 5.5 or higher.
A reader is available on the first course day.
|Restricted Optional for:||MOA||Organic Agriculture||MSc||A: Spec. A - Agroecology||6WD|