|Teaching method||Contact hours|
|Excursion (one day)||8|
|Course coordinator(s)||dr. J van Leeuwen|
|Lecturer(s)||PhD V Otter|
|dr. J van Leeuwen|
|Examiner(s)||dr. J van Leeuwen|
Language of instruction:
Assumed knowledge on:
Basics of Environmental Science and Environmental Policy.
Central in this course are the main trends with regard to environmental management in the industry. The most important tools and concepts in environmental management, such as pollution prevention, environmental management systems, life-cycle management, environmental management strategies, industrial ecology and circular economy are discussed. Selected theories and models concerning environmental management, in particular the 4-stage model of environmental strategy, models of Corporate Social Responsibility, the organization theory of Mintzberg, and ecological modernization theory will be taught. In addition to explaining these concepts and theories, the course provides practice-oriented training on the basis of case studies, and practical experience on the form of an excursion. Although the course primarily deals with industrial organizations, most of its contents also apply to other types of organization.
After successful completion of this course students are expected to be able to:
- demonstrate insight in central concepts and tools of environmental management;
- demonstrate understanding of selected theories with special relevance to environmental management;
- analyse realistic cases on the basis of these theories;
- develop feasible policy and management options with regard to environmental management in industry, on the basis of selected theories, concepts and tools.
- written exam (65%);
- group presentation and paper (25%);
- preparation of and active participation in tutorials (10%).
To pass the minimum grade for the written exam has to be 5.50.
See course guide.
|Compulsory for:||BES||Environmental Sciences||BSc||A: Spec. A - Environmental Policy and Economics||1MO|
|Restricted Optional for:||MUE||Urban Environmental Management||MSc||1MO|
|MUE||Urban Environmental Management||MSc||1MO|
|Compulsory for:||WUUEM||BSc Minor Urban Environmental Management||1MO|