|Teaching method||Contact hours|
|Excursion (one day)||2|
|Course coordinator(s)||dr. R Ripoll Bosch|
|dr. ir. SJ Oosting|
|Lecturer(s)||dr. R Ripoll Bosch|
|dr. ir. SJ Oosting|
|ing. FA Steenstra|
|Examiner(s)||dr. ir. SJ Oosting|
|dr. R Ripoll Bosch|
Language of instruction:
Assumed knowledge on:
APS-20806 Systems Approach in Animal Sciences; APS-30306 Sustainability Assessment of Animal Systems
This course explores livestock systems that meet future economic, environmental and societal demands. Drivers of development for a variety of livestock systems will be explained and discussed. Systems vary from high to low external input systems, from conventional to organic systems and from systems with the emphasis on meat and milk production to those with emphasis on nature and landscape management and social reasons for keeping animals. The course covers future developments, analyses of values and functions of animals, resource use and livestock environment interactions in both developed and developing countries.
After successful completion of this course students are expected to be able to:
- analyse drivers of change and future roles of livestock in farming systems;
- evaluate and discuss diversity in livestock systems;
- evaluate values and functions of livestock in society, use of (natural) resources, environmental challenges and mitigation options;
- analyse issues related to livestock farming (social, environmental and economic) in specific contexts;
- design projects and development strategies for livestock farming systems (using the logical framework);
- critically judge livestock farming systems development.
- students will acquire these skills through lectures (several guest lecturers);
- group discussions;
- writing and presenting a report based on the logical framework approach.
- written test with open question (50% to be answered in English);
- group report and oral presentation on a design of future livestock systems (50% in English).
Each component needs a minimum mark of 5.5 to pass.
Study guide and reader in English.
|Restricted Optional for:||MOA||Organic Agriculture||MSc||A: Spec. A - Agroecology||6AF|
|MAS||Animal Sciences||MSc||C: Spec. C - Global and Sustainable Production||6AF|
|MAS||Animal Sciences||MSc||D: Spec. D - Adaptation, Health and Behaviour||6AF|