|Teaching method||Contact hours|
|Course coordinator(s)||prof. dr. C Kroeze|
|dr. M Strokal|
|Lecturer(s)||prof. dr. C Kroeze|
|dr. ir. N Hofstra|
|dr. ir. JM van Loon-Steensma|
|dr. M Strokal|
|Examiner(s)||prof. dr. C Kroeze|
Language of instruction:
The availability of clean water is essential for nature as well as for people. In many world regions the availability of clean water is at risk as a result of population growth and economic developments. The course focusses on global modelling of water demand by society and water availability in a changing world. You will acquire skills to use these models and knowledge to critically reflect on model skills and explore the usability of modelling results for water management decision making. Based on this, students will be asked to design an indicator for water stress that accounts for both water quantity and water quality issues. Students are exposed to models in different ways in the course with a focus on running and interpreting models. The course is not primarily aimed at teaching programming skills.
After successful completion of this course students are expected to be able to:
- critically discuss global water quantity issues such as water shortage for human uses and flooding in relation to water quality issues related to nutrients, water temperature, pathogens, salinity, plastic and toxic compounds;
- assess the skill and output of integrated modelling of water quantity and water quality issues;
- use simple global water system models;
- assess (policy) guidelines of water quality and quantity requirements for human use sectors (e.g. agriculture, domestic, industrial uses) and ecosystem health;
- design an indicator for water stress that takes into account both water quantity and water quality.
- analysis of scientific papers on global modelling;
- lectures, to present models;
- modelling practical;
- group work, to design an indicator for water stress.
The final grade will be determined based on a written exam and a final report from the group work. The written exam will account for 75% of the final grade. The report will account for the other 25%. A grade of 5.5 or higher is needed for both the written exam and report to pass the course. The written exam will take place in week 8 of the course. An exam will consist of questions about the aspects that are learnt during the lectures, tutorials and practicals. There will be questions about the group work. The questions will reflect the learning outcomes of the course.