|Teaching method||Contact hours|
|Course coordinator(s)||dr. ir. A Schouten|
|Lecturer(s)||dr. ir. JWM van Lent|
|dr. G Smant|
|prof. dr. ir. FPM Govers|
|prof. dr. ir. JJA van Loon|
|dr. ir. A Schouten|
|JL Lozano Torres|
|Examiner(s)||dr. ir. A Schouten|
Language of instruction:
This course is introductory to plant pathology and entomology in a broad sense. Through lectures, practical training and internet modules students will become familiar with these scientific domains. The various subjects will be illustrated with examples from current practice in plant pathology and entomology. The focus in this course will be on insight into the biology and population dynamics of plant pathogens and insects.
After successful completion of this course students are expected to:
- know the biology of plant-pathogenic viruses, bacteria, fungi, oomycetes and nematodes, and plant-feeding insects;
- be familiar with the morphology, classification, reproduction, mode of dispersal, growth and development of the various pathogens and pest organisms;
- understand the life cycles of plant-pathogenic viruses, bacteria, fungi, oomycetes, nematodes and arthropod pests in relation to their interaction with host plant(s);
- be able to judge potential positive and negative effects of disease and pest control measures;
- be able to recognize disease symptoms and to assign the causal agent on plants, based on macroscopic and microscopic observations;
- know the most important diseases and pests in crops;
- have insight in the genetics of the interaction of plants with pathogens, more specifically the gene-for-gene concept;
- have insight in pathogen and pest population management.
- practical training;
- internet modules.
The examination is based on a multiple choice exam and performance in and reporting on the practical training.
Text and Power Point presentations will be provided in Learning environment@WUR.
|Compulsory for:||BPW||Plant Sciences||BSc||1MO|
|Restricted Optional for:||MPS||Plant Sciences||MSc||E: Plant Pathology and Entomology||1MO|
|MPB||Plant Biotechnology||MSc||C: Molecular Plant Breeding and Pathology||1MO|
|Restricted Optional for:||WUPBT||BSc Minor Plant Biotechnology||1MO|