|Teaching method||Contact hours|
|Course coordinator(s)||prof. dr. M Dicke|
|dr. M Kos|
|Lecturer(s)||prof. dr. M Dicke|
|dr. ir. CJM Koenraadt|
|prof. dr. ir. JJA van Loon|
|dr. EH Poelman|
|dr. EC Verhulst|
|dr. PW de Jong|
|dr. M Kos|
|Examiner(s)||prof. dr. M Dicke|
Language of instruction:
Entomology thesis, Entomology Internship, ENT-30306, ENT-50806
This course deals with fundamental as well as applied aspects of insects and focuses on major themes in modern insect biology. Each student can choose his/her own trajectory so as to develop essential knowledge on (1) biological phenomena for which insects are good model systems or on (2) novel methods to apply fundamental knowledge to the management of insects in natural or agricultural environments, in temperate zones or in the tropics. Major aspects cover (a) chemical and molecular ecology, (b) behavioral and population ecology and (c) functional biodiversity and agroecology, (3) insect reproduction, (4) pollination ecology and their application in crop protection, protection of human health, vector control, nature conservation and functional biodiversity. Each student chooses 2 topics that will be developed into 2 essays under the supervision of the staff of the Laboratory of Entomology.
After successful completion of this course students are expected to be able to:
- describe an overview of what the major topics are in insect biology;
- select a limited number of relevant scientific papers that cover two timely topics in the biology of insects;
- identify and evaluate scientific information on state-of-the art topics in insect biology;
- develop a logical outline for a scientific essay that includes an integrative discussion of a selection of the scientific literature;
- present scientific information on current topics in the biology of insects in a comprehensible way into a written text, demonstrating that the information has been integrated and synthesized;
- explain biological details of two state-of-the-art topics in insect biology.
The course will be graded, based on the reports that will be developed on the two topics chosen.
All relevant material provided in Brightspace.
|Restricted Optional for:||MPS||Plant Sciences||MSc||E: Plant Pathology and Entomology||1AF, 2AF, 3WD, 4WD, 5AF, 6WD|
|MPB||Plant Biotechnology||MSc||B: Plants for Human and Animal Health||1AF, 2AF, 3WD, 4WD, 5AF, 6WD|
|MPB||Plant Biotechnology||MSc||C: Molecular Plant Breeding and Pathology||1AF, 2AF, 3WD, 4WD, 5AF, 6WD|