|Teaching method||Contact hours|
Language of instruction:
Assumed knowledge on:
The student has to finish the written version of the MSc thesis before starting the Research Master cluster. Further requirements are:
1. a motivation letter;
2. a personal coach for writing the PhD proposal organised by the student;
3. confirmation by the coach to supervise the writing process including a statement motivating that you are a potential PhD student and a statement that he/she has enough time available to discuss your proposal at least one hour per week;
4. information literacy, computer literacy and presentation skills;
5. English verbal and writing skills on a level that allows self-reflection, feedback and independent functioning in the feedback network.
The requirements 1-3 need to be uploaded: https://sites.wur.nl/sites/rmc Deadlines for the upload are: 11th June for period 1; 17th September for period 2; 12th November for combined period 3-4; 20th January for period 5; and 21st March for period 6.
The course Research Master Proposal Writing specifically aims to acquire and improve students professional skills in writing and defending a scientific research proposal. The approach is to conceive a realistic scientific idea and develop this idea into an attractive grant proposal of high quality that can be defended before a jury of experts and peers. Aside from the actual writing, presenting and defending, supporting skills will be taught, aimed at improving students abilities to perform this task. This includes tracking down governmental, public, private and industry funds for research (e.g. EU, KNAW, NWO, company-based R&D). Reflection on personal and other students performances is an integral part of the process.
After successful completion of this course students are expected to be able to:
- apply academic knowledge and skills to design a research project in the context of the Wageningen Life Sciences domain;
- define and describe the methodological aspects of the chosen approach in the research project;
- collect relevant information within a scientific field, identify existing gaps in knowledge and translate them into research objectives;
- present and defend a PhD grant proposal;
- communicate effectively with other academics, including your coach, reviewers, and a scientific jury;
- reflect upon your own research proposal;
- critically analyze the scientific merits of other's research proposals;
- reflect upon your functioning as an academic.
Students will write their individual proposals under supervision of a senior scientist who is a member of one of the Graduate Schools within Wageningen University. First multidisciplinary groups of 8-10 international students will get training in tracing public and private research funds, writing a grant proposal, including popular summary, rebuttal letter, etc. Intermediate products will be presented and evaluated in the group, which will act as a scientific community. In the group oral presentations, personal reflection, and peer reviews will take place.
The assessment consist of three parts:
- writing process by the personal coach (40%);
- written PhD proposal by the lecture team (40%);
- oral presentation by the scientific jury(20%).
|Restricted Optional for:||MME||Management, Economics and Consumer Studies||MSc||3WD+4WD, 5WD, 6WD|
|MBI||Biology||MSc||1WD, 2WD, 3WD+4WD, 5WD, 6WD|
|MOA||Organic Agriculture||MSc||1WD, 2WD, 3WD+4WD, 5WD, 6WD|
|MEE||Earth and Environment||MSc||2WD, 3WD+4WD, 5WD, 6WD|
|MFN||Forest and Nature Conservation||MSc||1WD, 2WD, 3WD+4WD, 5WD, 6WD|
|MLP||Landscape Architecture and Planning||MSc||6WD|
|MML||Molecular Life Sciences||MSc||1WD, 2WD, 3WD+4WD, 5WD, 6WD|
|MPS||Plant Sciences||MSc||1WD, 2WD, 3WD+4WD, 5WD, 6WD|
|MPB||Plant Biotechnology||MSc||2WD, 3WD+4WD, 5WD, 6WD|
|MNH||Nutrition and Health||MSc||1WD, 2WD, 3WD+4WD, 5WD, 6WD|
|MBF||Bioinformatics||MSc||1WD, 2WD, 3WD+4WD, 5WD, 6WD|
|MTO||Leisure, Tourism and Environment||MSc||6WD|
|MID||International Development Studies||MSc||1WD, 2WD, 3WD+4WD, 5WD, 6WD|
|MCH||Communication, Health and Life Sciences||MSc||3WD+4WD, 6WD|
|MAM||Aquaculture and Marine Resource Management||MSc||1WD, 2WD, 3WD+4WD, 5WD, 6WD|