Code last year: (SOQ-32806)
|Teaching method||Contact hours|
|Course coordinator(s)||dr. ir. JW van Groenigen|
|Lecturer(s)||Prof. dr. ir. GB De Deyn|
|dr. ir. JW van Groenigen|
|Examiner(s)||dr. ir. JW van Groenigen|
Language of instruction:
Assumed knowledge on:
Ecology - I; Introductory course in Soil Science.
SOC-36306 Biogeochemical Cycles and Climate Change Mitigation and Climate Change; SBL-31806 Nutrient Management; SBL-35306 The Carbon Dilemma.
Note: This course has a maximum number of participants. The deadline for registration is one week earlier than usual.
See Academic Year.(http://www.wur.nl/en/Education-Programmes/Current-Students/Agenda-Calendar-Academic-Year.htm) -> Registration for Courses.
This course deals with interactions between soil organisms and soil in the context of cycles of C, N and P. Important topics of soil fertility and global change will be addressed. Keywords: organic matter decomposition and nutrient mineralization, reactions of plants to excess and deficiency, role of plants, mycorrhizas and soil fauna in C, N and P cycles, soil structure, greenhouse gas emissions. The practical will train basic experimental techniques in soil biology and fertility, experimental design and processing of data. Part of the experiments can be designed by the students so that they complete the whole experimental cycle.
After successful completion of this course students are expected to be able to:
- demonstrate knowledge of the main interactions in the soil between plants, nutrients and soil biota;
- demonstrate insight in the effects of human-induced disturbances on these interactions;
- critically evaluate and discuss conflicting views in the literature on key biotic interactions in the soil;
- design, execute and report experiments that quantify interactions between biota and cycles of carbon, phosphorus and nitrogen.
- practicals (hypothesis formulation and testing; reporting).
- written examination (50%);
- assignment (20%);
- practical reports (30%).
Reader: Biological Interactions in Soils.
|Restricted Optional for:||BSW||Soil, Water, Atmosphere||BSc||2AF|
|MBI||Biology||MSc||D: Conservation and Systems Ecology||2AF|
|MEE||Earth and Environment||MSc||C: Biology and Chemistry of Soil and Water||2AF|
|MPS||Plant Sciences||MSc||C: Natural Resource Management||2AF|
|MCL||Climate Studies||MSc||C: Ecological and Agroecological Systems||2AF|