|Teaching method||Contact hours|
|Course coordinator(s)||JJB van den Heuvel|
|dr. GAK van Voorn|
|Lecturer(s)||JJB van den Heuvel|
|CR Zelissen MSc|
|dr. GAK van Voorn|
|ing. E Nauta|
|dr. ADJ van Dijk|
|Examiner(s)||dr. GAK van Voorn|
Language of instruction:
Spoken language Dutch or English (depending on the study programme), all written materials in English, examination in English
Assumed knowledge on:
Dutch VWO Wiskunde A (Mathematics A) or comparable foreign education.
MAT-14903 Mathematics 2.
- equations and functions;
- power functions, exponential functions, and logarithmic functions;
- periodic functions;
After successful completion of this course students are expected to be able to:
- understand basic concepts, methods and techniques from calculus at VWO Mathematics B level;
- apply mathematical knowledge, insights and methods to solve basic problems in the applied sciences using a systematic approach;
- correctly report mathematical argumentation;
- critically reflect upon the results;
- interpret and evaluate the results in terms of the problem that was modelled mathematically.
- before each lesson: extensive preparation by studying the subject matter of the lesson, doing the assigned exercises and formulating questions for the teacher;
- during each lesson: active participation by asking questions and by doing the assigned exercises (possibly in cooperation with other students);
- after each lesson: recapitulation of and reflection on the subject matter of the lesson.
Written test with open questions and/or multiple choice questions, which needs to be passed (contribution to final mark: 100%). A simple electronic calculator (NOT a graphic calculator) is allowed.
M. de Gee, "Mathematics that Works volume 1: Introduction to Calculus". Epsilon-Uitgaven. ISBN 978-90-5041-167-7. Available at WUR shop.
|Restricted Optional for:||BBI||Biology||BSc||1AF|
|BSW||Soil, Water, Atmosphere||BSc||1AF|
|BBN||Forest and Nature Conservation||BSc||2MO|
|BLP||Landscape Architecture and Planning||BSc||2MO|
|BML||Molecular Life Sciences||BSc||1AF|