The minor Food Safety is intended for students from different BSc programmes to get acquainted with basic aspects of food safety. Food safety is an important issue in for example plant and animal science, but students from these programmes do not normally follow courses in this field. This minor will offer this opportunity.
The minor consists of technical courses as well as courses from social sciences, making the minor interesting for students from both natural as well as social sciences.
The minor is also a good introduction for students who want to pursue the MSc Food Safety, but lack the proper background in the BSc.
This BSc minor is a programme minor.
After successful completion of this minor students are expected to be able to:
- understand the different communication strategies relating to risks;
- explain basic knowledge of risks in foods;
- explain basic knowledge of toxicology;
- understand the different quality systems used in the food industry;
- make a basic risk assessment;
- understand the role of the different players in the food production and supply chain.
Language of Instruction
BSc Minor Coordinator
Dr ir R. Hartemink
This minor is interesting for students with some background in Biology, Chemistry and Mathematics. This minor is not accepted for BLT students. BVG students should contact their study advisor before starting this minor.