|Teaching method||Contact hours|
|Course coordinator(s)||dr. ir. EAM Graat|
|Lecturer(s)||dr. ir. EAM Graat|
|dr. M van der Voort|
|Examiner(s)||dr. ir. EAM Graat|
Language of instruction:
QVE-30306 Quantitative Veterinary Epidemiology.
This course is not about symptoms, prevention, therapy and economic effects of specific diseases. The following aspects are dealt with and illustrated with some diseases:
- health and disease, how to diagnose, and which organisations involved;
- types of disease, pathogen transmission, available preventive measures;
- types and design of epidemiological studies, analysis and interpretation;
- basic economic principles and methods used in decision making regarding animal health problems;
- design of disease eradication and/or prevention programmes.
After the course students are able to:
- describe several aspects of animal health and disease;
- give examples of eradication, control and prevention of animal diseases;
- design basic epidemiological studies;
- calculate epidemiological parameters and interpret the outcomes;
- understand basic economic methods for decision making regarding animal health problems;
- understand eradication and/or prevention based on epidemiological and economic criteria.
- class and take home assignments;
- independent study.
Written exam (in Dutch) with open and multiple choice questions, usually based on (parts of ) scientific papers in English.
Course guide and schedule (all in Dutch) are available on first lecture.
Course book: Veterinary Epidemiology, 3rd ed. M. Thrusfield (2007); ISBN 978-1-405-15627-1.
|Compulsory for:||BAS||Animal Sciences||BSc||2MO|
|Compulsory for:||WUANS||BSc Minor Animal Sciences||2MO|
|Restricted Optional for:||WUBID||BSc Minor Biology of Infectious Diseases of Humans and Animals||2MO|