|Teaching method||Contact hours|
|Course coordinator(s)||prof. dr. ir. JCM van Trijp|
|Lecturer(s)||prof. V Fogliano|
|prof. dr. ir. JCM van Trijp|
|dr. EWI van Herpen|
|dr. B Piqueras Fiszman|
|dr. MJJ Handgraaf|
|Examiner(s)||prof. dr. ir. JCM van Trijp|
Language of instruction:
Assumed knowledge on:
MCB-20806 Principles of Consumer Studies; MCB-30306 Consumer Behaviour: Concepts and Research Methods.
Innovations in Marketing Decision Making; Thesis Marketing & consumer Behaviour; Sensory Research (ATV).
The human senses are the consumer's window to the world. This course teaches how sensory perception drives and affects consumer behaviour in the market place and how marketing offerings (products, services and environments) can be designed to optimize the consumer's experience.
After successful completion of this course students are able to:
- explain information processing along the sensory 'supply chain' from the physical stimulant [product, service, environment), through the human sensory perception system (peripheral and central nerve system) to the integration and action side of the human brain (appreciation, mood, and behaviour in the market place;
- appraise dominant theories regarding when and why sensory perception is a relatively more or relatively less important driver of consumer preference and choice;
- demonstrate understanding of how sensory stimulation affects consumer behaviour in the market place by applying the theory of this course for developing a new kids product concept.
- attending to lectures with "proof of principle" sensory experiment;
- studying literature;
- group work on assignment: develop a convincing multi-sensory consumer experience in theory and practice.
- written examination with open questions (75%);
- assessment of group assignment (25%);
Each component requires a minimum of 5.5 to pass.
Reader and/or recent journal articles.
|Compulsory for:||MME||Management, Economics and Consumer Studies||MSc||B: Consumer Studies||5AF|
|Restricted Optional for:||MME||Management, Economics and Consumer Studies||MSc||A: Business Studies||5AF|
|MFT||Food Technology||MSc||G: Sensory Science||5AF|
|MFT||Food Technology||MSc||I: Gastronomy||5AF|
|MFT||Food Technology||MSc||C: Product Design||5AF|
|MNH||Nutrition and Health||MSc||D: Sensory Science||5AF|
|MFQ||Food Quality Management||MSc||C: User-Oriented Food Quality||5AF|