|Teaching method||Contact hours|
Language of instruction:
Assumed knowledge on:
MAT-14903 Mathematics 2.
MAT-23306 Multivariate Mathematics Applied and MAT-24803 Mathematics for Time-dependent Systems.
- systems of linear equations;
- vectors and vector geometry;
- matrices and determinants;
- eigenvalues and eigenvectors;
- functions of two variables.
After successful completion of this course students are expected to be able to:
- use and apply definitions and concepts from linear algebra and calculus in a mathematical or an applied context;
- use and apply mathematical knowledge and methods to solve basic mathematical problems in the life-, environmental and technological sciences using a systematic approach;
- correctly report mathematical reasoning and argumentation;
- critically reflect upon the results by verifying them;
- interpret the results in terms of the problem that was modelled mathematically;
- use mathematical software in elaborating mathematical models.
- before each lesson: extensive preparation by studying the subject matter of the lesson, doing the assigned exercises and formulating questions for the teacher;
- during each lesson: active participation by asking questions and by doing the assigned exercises (possibly in cooperation with other students);
- after each lesson: recapitulation of and reflection on the subject matter of the lesson;
- computer practical (compulsory).
- written test with open questions and/or multiple choice questions, which needs to be passed (contribution to final mark: 100%); a simple electronic calculator (NOT a graphic calculator) is allowed.
- the practical (attendance compulsory) has to be completed with the grading 'sufficient'.
A sufficient practical result remains valid for a period of six study years.
M. de Gee (2013 or more recent), Wiskunde in Werking deel 1: Vectoren en matrices toegepast. Epsilon-Uitgaven, deel 48, 440p. [ISBN 978-90-5041-140-0] Available at WUR shop.
M. de Gee. (2009 or more recent), Wiskunde in Werking deel 2: Analyse toegepast. Epsilon-Uitgaven, deel 49, 416p. [ISBN 978-90-5041-110-3] Available at WUR shop.
L. Hemerik en J.D. Stigter, Handleiding Wiskunde 3. Available at WUR shop.
|BSW||Soil, Water, Atmosphere||BSc||5AF|
|BIL||International Land and Water Management||BSc||2MO|
|BML||Molecular Life Sciences||BSc||3MO|