|Teaching method||Contact hours|
|Excursion (one day)||4|
|Course coordinator(s)||dr. MR Mensink|
|Lecturer(s)||dr. MR Mensink|
|ir. PJM Hulshof|
|prof. dr. RF Witkamp|
|prof. dr. ir. IMCM Rietjens|
|prof. dr H. Daanen (TNO)|
|dr. AG Nieuwenhuizen|
|Examiner(s)||dr. MR Mensink|
Language of instruction:
Assumed knowledge on:
Nutritional Physiology HAP-30306.
Nutrition and Health over the Lifecourse
This course provides an integrated approach of metabolic and physiological aspects of physical activity and athletic performance in the perspective of nutrition and health. The course consists of three parts: Exercise Physiology (week 1-2), Nutritional strategies (week 3-5), Sport, Nutrition and the Athlete's Health (week 6).
After successful completion of this course students are expected to be able to:
- describe the specific issue in sport nutrition research;
- describe the metabolic pathways of energy expenditure during exercise and apply this to different types of athletes;
- describe, discuss and illustrate the physiological changes during exercise, e.g. cardiopulmonal changes, skeletomuscular adaptations and thermoregulation;
- describe and explain the relationship between nutrition, sport and certain health problems, i.e. immune function, GI function and the female athlete triad;
- discuss the nutritional strategies to achieve nutritional requirements for different types of athletes;
- explain which nutrients/nutritional strategies may improve performance;
- interpret and report data obtained during exercise testing;
- evaluate the scientific evidence for ergogenic aids and give conclusions about the proposed claims.
The course consists of:
- lectures by staff and invited lecturers;
- and project education as well as practicals related to exercise physiology.
The end mark will be based on a written exam. The end mark should be at least 5.5. In addition, the student should have attended all the mandatory activities of the course, and evaluation of the practical reports should be sufficient
Asker Jeukendrup & Michael Gleeson. Sport Nutrition: An Introduction To Energy Production And Performance. 488 p.
Human Kinetics Publishers. 2nd Revised ed. 2010. ISBN:10 0736079629 / ISBN:13 9780736079624.
Course reader will be available at the WUR-shop.
|Restricted Optional for:||MFT||Food Technology||MSc||J: Food Digestion and Health||5MO|
|MNH||Nutrition and Health||MSc||C: Molecular Nutrition and Toxicology||5MO|
|MNH||Nutrition and Health||MSc||F: Food Digestion and Health||5MO|
|MNH||Nutrition and Health||MSc||B: Nutritional Physiology and Health Status||5MO|
|MNH||Nutrition and Health||MSc||A: Epidemiology and Public Health||5MO|