|Teaching method||Contact hours|
|Course coordinator(s)||dr. ir. CMM Lakemond|
|Lecturer(s)||dr. ir. CMM Lakemond|
|prof. dr. ir. C de Graaf|
|dr. JLF Hagelaar|
|prof. V Fogliano|
|Examiner(s)||dr. ir. CMM Lakemond|
Language of instruction:
Assumed knowledge on:
FQD-20306 Food Quality Management.
Food Quality Analysis and Judgement is a course which focuses on measuring and evaluating food quality through finding relevant measurable food properties that are indicators for food quality aspects. Theoretical topics (lectures) include chemical, physical, and sensorial indicators for food quality plus lectures on judgement in decision making processes. The extensive practical deals with translating the concept of food quality of real products into measurable food properties, to measure these, to judge the outcomes and to translate these back to food quality. In the last phase of each practical the students draw conclusions based on experimental data and report their findings. In the case assignment the students need to relate the conclusions from the practical to management decisions in a real company situation.
After this course a student is expected to be able to:
- understand theoretical knowledge on food quality attributes, food properties and their relationships;
- describe a range of techniques to measure and/or analyse food properties, and understand how they relate to food quality attributes;
- understand theoretical knowledge on judging quality attributes;
- translate the concept of food quality of real products into measurable food properties, to measure these, to judge the outcomes and to translate these back to food quality;
- draw scientific conclusions based on experimental data and relate these to management decisions.
- following lectures;
- laboratory work + writing research plans, poster presentations, oral presentations;
- making project reports.
- written exam (50%);
- practical and cases (50%). All seperate marks must be equal or higher than 5.5.
A reader is available at the WUR-shop.
|Restricted Optional for:||MFQ||Food Quality Management||MSc||2AF|